On Thursday, 21 April 2016 at 11:49:13 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
I'd love to have some extended compiler support (so you could simply do gdc -use=libfoo:1.0.0 and this would pick up the correct headers and linker flags). But as some DMD maintainers are opposed to this idea it won't happen. You'll probably always need dub for a 'nice' user interface.

We could probably also provide a small wrapper tool for this:
pkgdc gdc -use=libfoo:1.0.0 -other -gdc-args
pkgdc dmd -use=libfoo:1.0.0 -other -dmd-args

looks up package flags and calls the real compiler with appropriate args. We'd need to define standard for this to be really useful though.