On Monday, 9 May 2016 at 08:55:36 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Walter's main complaint seemed to be that he didn't like the idea of depending on C libraries other than the C runtime in our standard library, since it meant that there was code in our standard library that we did not have control of, and it arguably looks bad to have to use C libraries in our own standard library. But the big problem that I'm aware of has had to do with the fact that we then have an external dependency that not everyone has on their system. Even on Linux, on distros that separate out "dev" packages so that you have to install one package to use a library and another to build code using it, libcurl is not necessarily going to be there to be built against (and it's definitely not on Windows normally). And that's definitely caused problems - though including libcurl with the dmd installer (which we didn't do initially) has reduced those problems.

Martin has also made curl lazy-loaded, so you should not have any problems unless you both try to use curl and don't have the curl DLL in your PATH.