On Thursday, 12 May 2016 at 16:20:05 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 5/12/2016 9:15 AM, Guillaume Chatelet wrote:
Well maybe it was a disaster because the problem was only half solved.
It looks like Perl 6 got it right:
https://perl6advent.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/day-7-unicode-perl-6-and-you/

Perl isn't a systems programming language. A systems language requires access to code units, invalid encodings, etc. Nor is Perl efficient. There are a lot of major efficiency gains by not autodecoding.

[Sorry for the OT]

I never claimed Perl was a systems programming language nor that it was efficient, just that their design looks more mature than ours.

Also I think you missed this part of the article:

"Of course, that’s all just for the default Str type. If you don’t want to work at a grapheme level, then you have several other string types to choose from: If you’re interested in working within a particular normalization, there’s the self-explanatory types of NFC, NFD, NFKC, and NFKD. If you just want to work with codepoints and not bother with normalization, there’s the Uni string type (which may be most appropriate in cases where you don’t want the NFC normalization that comes with normal Str, and keep text as-is). And if you want to work at the binary level, well, there’s always the Blob family of types :)."

We basically have "Uni" in D, no normalized nor grapheme level.