On Monday, 30 May 2016 at 14:56:36 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
All this is only sensible when we move to a dedicated string type that's not just an alias of `immutable(char)[]`.

`immutable(char)[]` explicitly is an array of code units. It would not be acceptable, in my opinion, if the normal array syntax got broken for it.

I agree; most of the troubles have been with auto-decoding. In an ideal world, we'd also want to change the way `length` and `opIndex` work, but if we only fix the range primitives, we've achieved almost as much with fewer compatibility problems.