On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 at 12:41:19 UTC, Seb wrote:
On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 at 12:14:07 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 May 2016 at 17:54:34 UTC, qznc wrote:
There is a special version of find for searching a single char in a string. Using a one-letter needle string is more like a user mistake than something to optimize for.

At compile time you may not know the length of the needle, like in the grep command.

1) how about a CTFE find?

What I wanted to say, is that in real life, the input of the search routine is very often run-time user provided data. Think of search box in browsers and apps, command line parameter à la grep, etc. The "string" search function should not catastrophically break down on special input, like 1 character strings, unusual Unicode or when needle==haystack. I only said this to not lose the focus on what is being tried to be achieved here. It's often a danger of micro-optimization and unit test focused development, that a lot of time and effort are spent on improvements that are completely irrelevant when checked against what is really needed in real world (i.e. we're full in bike shed territory here).