On Saturday, 9 July 2016 at 06:31:01 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:
On Saturday, 9 July 2016 at 04:32:25 UTC, Andrew Godfrey wrote:

Aha! But I don't! It feels intuitive, possibly the best use of "static". But that is immaterial, what matters is the sum of all meanings of "static" in this language. The "single instance per class" meaning of "static" is just bonkers. I've had that meaning burned into my brain for a couple of decades, from C++. But I don't have to like it! I could stomach it, though, if that was the only use of the keyword. (Or if the other meanings couldn't be used in the same contexts).

The name is fine. It comes from 'statically bound/dispatched', that is 'resolved at compile time'.

This is a tangent from the subject of this thread, but: No, that just says how it is implemented, not what it means / intends. See "the 7 stages of naming", here: http://arlobelshee.com/good-naming-is-a-process-not-a-single-step/

(That resource is talking about identifier naming, not keywords. But it applies anyway.)