On Thursday, 14 July 2016 at 09:36:17 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Java does basically the same thing (though they take it even farther, since they only allow one, public class per module), and IIRC, a number of other languages do as well (haskell does from what I recall, and python might; I don't remember
Really! I don't know any people who migrate from namespace to module/package system and don't hate this.

If we didn't do it that way, then it would be a lot harder to figure out where all of the code for a given module was
Sure, more flexibility - more complicated.
But that not impossible...
Or it can be enabled or disabled by compiler pararms...

while some folks may find it occasionally annoying, most of use have no problem whatosever with modules being files and packages being directories.
Using modules like [namespaces + include] not prohibit using 1 file == [1 class | 1 module], there is expand possibilities for beautifuly implementation.

For me the best way as C#:
All files in project file - including at compilation, but in code - mount only at defined scope point (call for namespace unit or using/import whole namespace)

Don't need file or part of module? - Exclude from project.