On Friday, 15 July 2016 at 05:10:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
I'm excluding the pain of Windows reinstall, as it took 14 hours of sitting there blankly "checking for updates". I wonder what it was possibly doing that took 14 hours (the disk was fresh, there was nothing to transmit to the NSA).

If you're talking about Windows 7, speculation is that MS is doing that on purpose: they don't package a Service Pack 2 because they want to make it painful for you, so painful that you install or upgrade to Windows 10 instead, the latter still free for the next two weeks. They did produce something like a Win7 SP2, but you have to manually download it, Windows Update won't just go get it:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/windows-7-now-has-a-service-pack-2-but-dont-call-it-that/

As for printing, you're still printing? I think I've printed maybe three or four times in the last decade, but then I almost never read anything on paper during that time either.