On Friday, 15 July 2016 at 12:59:39 UTC, maik klein wrote:
https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2016H2

Safety and Memory Management

Safety and making the GC optional remain important concerns through the end of this year. We are putting them together because the GC alternatives we endorse must address safety.

Has there been any progress so far? Are there any DIPs to improve no gc code?

I can see these two:

http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP18 (a bit outdated)
http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP68

I can remember that there was talk about making allow to use a custom allocator with `new`, but I haven't seen a proposal yet.

I do encourage you to volunteer, doing the research & submitting your idea(s) for a change ;-)