On Monday, 29 August 2016 at 10:42:23 UTC, Alexander Breckel wrote:
I just tried to use the DMD frontend as a Dub package in my own project to parse and analyze D files and it ... just worked. The dub.json for dmd is fairly small and doesn't require any changes to the code. This might be common knowledge, but I was completely unprepared for this :)

Please note: This is "only" the dmd frontend (lexer, parser, semantic passes, CTFE). Code generation will be more complicated.

Thx, that's interesting from an IDE developer perspective.

However since DMD is a "single shot" program, using it as library could introduce memory problems. Also string handling is C style, unlike libdparse, which is truly written in D. However libdparse does nothing more than producing the AST, which becomes problematic with "static if" expressions, mixins, etc.