On Saturday, 3 September 2016 at 22:53:25 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 9/3/2016 3:05 PM, Ethan Watson wrote:
In the cases I've been bringing up here, it's all been user code that's been the problem *anyway*. Regardless of if the compiler author was expecting code to get to that point or not, erroring out with zero information is a bad user experience.

Nobody is suggesting that asserts are a good user experience. I've asserted (!) over and over that this is why asserts have a high priority to get fixed.

Adding more text to the assert message is not helpful to end users.

Perhaps the best error message would be "Please post this as a bug to bugzilla."