On Monday, 19 September 2016 at 20:47:00 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
On Monday, 19 September 2016 at 20:21:30 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:

Yes that's why the template cannot deduce the parameters. The question is, when the parameters cannot be deduced, and they are all optional, would it be reasonable for the compiler to infer that the user intended to use the default parameters?

This would be a destabilizing language-change and require even more logic for templates.

That's what I was wondering. I was trying to think of examples that this kind of feature would over-complicate. I've been thinking about it the last few days and I have the same reservations about making template deduction more complicated than it already is. That being said, I have thought of some examples that this feature would make much nicer.

I don't know if I would call this a "destabalizing" language change though. It should be backwards compatible with the existing semantics. It adds an extra step to type deduction, but this would be the very last step of type deduction so it would not override any existing semantics.