On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 at 16:11:04 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:

Interesting talk. Templates are indeed slow but the reason why I use them over CTFE functions (or why i leave out ctfe in general and just use functions) is that they don't require 20 GB of RAM for some medium-simple tasks (liked Pegged)

That can and is being fixed.
Templates can only be fixed partially and I am not even sure of that.

Templates could be made faster but I don't really like losing a feature or a possibility for it. imo D is very friendly and easy to learn for newcomers, if a feature is slowing down things a lot but making it a bit easier to learn/use, I would prefer to keep that feature.

I am not suggesting to remove templates.
I just want to raise awareness that they have a rather high cost.
CTFE performance is fixable. Template performance might not.