On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 at 19:01:40 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
There is no technical reason that would make the implementation of this feature difficult, if that is your question.

Basically, the rationale is: external operators cannot be used in generic code that does not import the module defining the operators. C++ works around this using ADL. Walter (justifiably) does not like ADL, hence the limitation.

(I don't agree with that line of reasoning: obviously this is not only an issue for operators, but for any UFCS function; operators are mere syntactic sugar.)

The greatest offender I've found is how in phobos, arrays do not behave as ranges without importing the module defining their range operations.

Which I think is obnoxious, and maybe there's a solution to make both cases less so, but I definitely don't think it's an argument for exclusion.