> So now we don't use a leading capital and punctuation. The challenge
> here is when the parameter description takes more than one sentence:
>
> ====
> Parameters:
> r | the range subject to partitioning. For whatever reason there's a
> need for a second sentence, so we need to put a period and mess it all up.

I agree that only a sentence should have a period.

Although I'm not aware of intra-paragraph dividers in typography, how about using a bullet or a dash before the subsequent sentences:

====
Parameters:
r | the range subject to partitioning • For whatever reason there's a
need for a second sentence, it can follow the divider character. We can
have even more sentences.

While on topic, how about using different colors for template and function parameters? I leave the choice of colors to people with synesthesia. :)

Ali