On 10/20/16 2:38 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On 10/19/2016 07:04 PM, Chris Wright wrote:

Right. For instance, binding query parameters with mysql-native. The
thing you're binding is passed by reference and I'm not sure why.

It's been like that since mysql-native's original release, by the
original author, some years ago.

I suspect the idea was a rudimentary ORM-like approach: to have the
prepared statement params semi-permanently tied to actual variables (ie,
"bound" to them). Ie, so you could re-exectute the same prepared
statement with different values just by changing the values and calling
`execPrepared` again, without calling any of the bind functions again.

I'd have to check whether or not that usage pattern currently works though.

Yes, it does work. However, one thing that I *sorely* miss is the ability to simply bind an individual value.

At the moment, in order to bind a value, you have to pass an array of Variant for all the values. I currently have a whole wrapper around this library to make it more palatable, and to fix the lifetime issues.

-Steve