On Friday, 21 October 2016 at 12:34:58 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I got a question about what happens with this code:

int j;
for({j=2; int d = 3; } j+d<7; {j++; d++;}) {
}

My first instinct was that that won't compile but it surprisingly does. And it loops forever.

So the grammar according to https://dlang.org/spec/grammar.html#ForStatement is:

ForStatement:
    for ( Initialize Testopt ; Incrementopt ) ScopeStatement

Initialize:
    ;
    NoScopeNonEmptyStatement

NoScopeNonEmptyStatement:
    NonEmptyStatement
    BlockStatement

NonEmptyStatement goes over a bunch of odd places such as case statement and default statement. And then BlockStatement is the matched case:

BlockStatement:
    { }
    { StatementList }

So it seems we have another case in which "{" "}" do not introduce a scope. Fine. The real problem is with the increment part, which is an expression. The code { j++; d++; } is... a lambda expression that never gets used, which completes a very confusing sample.

What would be a good solution to forbid certain constructs in the increment part of a for statement?

Thanks,

Andrei

I am the one who raised the question. I am n00b when it comes to D language (I just started reading about it a couple of days ago) and I tried the above mentioned code expecting that either the variables j and d get incremented accordingly or at least I would get a compilation error. Instead, the program compiles and when run it sticks into an infinite loop. I haven't read anything about lambda functions in D, but the
current outcome is very confusing for a beginner like myself.

Thanks,
RazvanN