On Thursday, 27 October 2016 at 08:24:54 UTC, qznc wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 at 09:54:31 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On 10/26/2016 12:53 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
It's a small bit, but the idea here is to eliminate if conditionals where possible:

https://medium.com/@bartobri/applying-the-linus-tarvolds-good-taste-coding-requirement-99749f37684a#.nhth1eo4e

I find it both funny and saddening how many reddit commentators complained about Linus version of that code is over-complicated.

"Prefer clear code over smart code" principle is good in general but sometimes it is over-applied to the point where incompetence gets glorified. And this sucks.

I'm unsure about Linus' version. For this example, I agree that it is elegant. It is fine in this specific case, because everything is local within a single function. In general, the trick to use a pointer to the element probably not a good idea.

The article/Linus does not explain the tradeoffs properly, which makes it dangerous advice.

It's like everything in life, like playing an instrument for example - or indeed life itself. Nothing, not even the best advice, can replace experience - which comes with age. It's only when you have a lot of experience that you understand the advice given to you by your elders. Then you pass on the same advice - but the inexperienced have to make the same old mistakes all over again until they understand. Some never do, though.