On Friday, January 13, 2017 11:50:25 Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-01-13 at 05:44 +0000, Elronnd via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Thursday, 12 January 2017 at 09:20:42 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > > DMD is not packaged by Debian or Fedora.
> > >
> > > GDC is packaged by Debian but is not packaged by Fedora.
> >
> > There are RPMs available at dlang.org, and it's trivial to
> > compile GDC.
>
> This has no bearing on my original point. DMD is not packaged on Debian
> and Fedora. GDC is not packaged on Fedora. Thus LDC which is packaged
> by both Debian and Fedora is the only practically usable D compiler on
> both these platforms.

And why on earth does having to download the package from dlang.org rather
than getting it from the official Debian or Fedora repos make dmd not
practically usable on those distros? Sure, it would be nice if they were in
the official repos, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work or isn't a
completely viable option on those distros.

- Jonathan M Davis