On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 at 13:50:33 UTC, Richard Delorme wrote:
But, my main argument here, is that a good C compiler, is able to do a very good job at optimizing memcpy, so the extra information brought by the D language, is not so useful in practice.

The point of Walter's argument was not about performance but, safety guarantees. Guarantees which cannot be given by C, or by Rust due to it's marking as unsafe (as I understand it). So the extra info is very useful for the programmer.

Also, I would compare apples to apples here and compile both the C program and the D code with LLVM.