On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 at 21:46:32 UTC, bpr wrote:
You're missing what I consider to be 'the Big Picture', namely that Swift will become popular on non-Apple platforms, and it needs to be fairly capable to compete with Go, Java, and C++, and others. IBM is already backing server side Swift to some degree.

I don't know if that will happen anytime soon. I think the functionality that the original creator has suggested for system-level programming has to be in place first. Currently the language/runtime is geared towards best practices inherited from Foundation/Objective-C/Cocoa/macOS... Which makes sense, but makes Swift a second rate citizen in other environments.