On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 08:52:05 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

I see that D-Apt has the Debian revision number on packages starting at
0. I had understood that the policy was to start at 1.

For stuff in *Debian* that is true, anything not in Debian should start at zero and add a "repository tag" to the Debian revision, if the package is new or has a new upstream version in their repository. E.g. in Ubuntu, if the upstream version is "1.0", the revision Ubuntu chooses is "1.0-0ubuntu1". If a Debian package is modified, the "ubuntuX" tag is added to the Debian revision. This ensures that Debian packages are preferred if they are available and that users as well as the Debian package maintainer knows where stuff was coming from when people report bugs (less of an issue on Ubuntu and other derivatives, there the tags are required to properly produce deltas between Debian and the derivative and to merge packages from Debian safely).

So, if d-apt is doing something like this, everything is fine :-)