On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 12:38:01 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
If you could change the SOVERSION with every one of these changes, or simply just tie it to the respective Phobos release, distributions would automatically do the right thing and compile all D code using Phobos against the new version.

As you mention, this is already done in LDC; not just the Debian packages, but also upstream. The soname will always be `libphobos2-ldc.so.74` or what have you.

(Thinking about it, it should probably include the patch version as well, although we haven't had a situation so far where we would have wanted to release multiple LDC versions for ABI-incompatible patch releases.)

 — David