On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 19:57:19 UTC, Piotr Kowalski wrote:
Hello D community,

I am language polyglot that lately got interested in D. I love it, it's very elegant language, so simple and so powerful same time. I will write some thoughts as outsider.

The reason I am looking at D in 2017 is that D it's almost nonexistent on popular sites for programmers (reddit/HN etc). The only discussion I remember about D was that it had two standard libraries and there were no consensus on which to use and that it uses GC so it's slow.

In my opinion D can get traction but it needs a lot more marketing and people need to be more vocal about blog posts written about D usage. If you don't have account on Reddit or HackerNews, create one, upvote articles about D, answer questions about D in comments, promote D (without zealotry).

Two other important things to change people minds about D performance:

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/

Why D is not there?

https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/previews/round14/#section=data-r14&hw=ph&test=plaintext

This is another very popular benchmark that people discuss and can attract new people to look at D. vibe.d here is not working, it would be good to fix that.

What is the plan for D for next 5 years? What about RAII?

Did you consider implementing solutions from which we could get memory safety without GC in D? Static analysis combined with some additional annotations/rules (but not intrusive). For example using some of the solutions from Cyclone[1] or Rust or proposed solutions for lifetimes in C++[2]

[1] http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/cyclone/papers/cyclone-safety.pdf

[2] https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/docs/Lifetimes%20I%20and%20II%20-%20v0.9.1.pdf

The memory safety is currently in the works.
We just have one std-lib now.
GC is slow, yes.
The short-term solution is to avoid it.
(All gc-ed langauges recommend static preallocation :P)