On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 at 07:51:28 UTC, Joakim wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 19:18:32 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 10:24:01AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On 4/11/2017 2:18 AM, qznc wrote:
> It usually comes down to charismatic and visionary leaders. > Walter and Andrei are good with that, otherwise D would > have faltered long ago.

For a socially inept nerd such as myself, with all the charisma of a lamppost, I think D has done very well.

You underestimate yourself. While you're no charismatic hero by any stretch of imagination, you do carry quite some weight in what you say simply by your history of achievements, as well as your technical expertise and wealth of experience in computer-related issues. It's no surprise that in this crowd full of like-minded nerds who respect technical expertise, you're doing none too badly. It might be a completely different story if you were in a more "typical" social setting, though. :-P

I was going to say something similar. I have seen responses in reddit/HN threads where devs were in awe that Walter Bright responded to them. In the tech community, which has _completely_ different ideas of what constitutes charisma and vision, Walter and Andrei, with his distinguished history and very entertaining talks, are pretty much the definition. That is not the issue, D has those in spades.

+1

I'm not sure if Walter can claim to have written a complete C++ compiler all by himself. Even if not, he is probably the one person on this planet, who is closest.

Walter is also pretty good with nerd-sniping [0]. ;)

[0] Example: https://forum.dlang.org/post/mg13tc$2ptk$1...@digitalmars.com