On Sunday, 23 April 2017 at 12:34:34 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
On Sunday, 23 April 2017 at 12:03:47 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Mostly out of a sense of conformity. We asked Michael to give no special treatment of DIPs originating from us, and this one was open, so he put it up for review. It is likely it will end up rejected in favor of https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1756.

Wouldn't there be a compile-time performance impact from instantiating so many templates, virtually for every parameter who's type is defined in another module?

It's just one per module. Templates are only instantiated once per new set of arguments. There may be some gain here, but I doubt this is worth adding a new language feature.