On Sunday, 14 May 2017 at 02:11:36 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
On Sunday, 14 May 2017 at 00:05:56 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

(a) Trust the programmer.

I don't understand this point. C doesn't offer the programmer much to work with. If you trust the programmer, shouldn't that mean you provide a large set of tools and let them decide which parts to use? C is pretty much "here are some pointers, go have fun".

The C99 Rationale also says: "The Committee is content to let C++ be the big and ambitious language. While some features of C++ may well be embraced, it is not the Committee’s intention that C become C++."

I read that as: C is mostly in preservation and fossilization mode. If you want new features look elsewhere. We will not rock the boat.

That is probably a good thing. C has its niche and it is comfortable there. If you want to beat C, it will not fight back. The only problem is to convince the C programmers to move.