I did some googling (well, duckduckgoing) and found a few posts on this forum indicating that this could work. So I gave it a try and followed https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix The build failed because src/posix.mak in the dmd repo was trying to download http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/2.x/2.072.2/dmd.2.072.2.openbsd.tar.xz which doesn't exist. What do I do now?

OTOH it's a good thing that the build failed. When I saw http:// instead of https:// in the console output I went to check what the makefile was doing and - wait for it - it was trying to download an executable from the internet and run it. I couldn't believe my eyes. I mean, you sure can use an unencrypted channel but then you need some kind of cryptographic signature to verify the downloaded file. I tried the above with 2.074.1 (the latest stable) but the trunk version has this too.