I'm one of the people currently working on the D intellij plugin(same username on github). We have a fairly comprehensive CONTRIBUTING.md here: https://github.com/intellij-dlanguage/intellij-dlanguage/blob/develop/CONTRIBUTING.md

Currently one of the problems I'm having is that D is really complex(I assume everyone else trying to make a good D IDE as this problem). This means features that are deceptively simple, like goto declaration are quite complex. One thing that could really help with this project would be a contributor with experience on the D compiler, which could help with features like goto declaration and code completion. Additionally I suspect that we have mountains of bugs, so it would also be helpful to get lots of user testing.