On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 06:04:57 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
Very interesting post.

My bachelor's thesis was a expert system for stock trading implemented with Borland C++ 1.0, and D would have been a good fit as well if had been an option in 1989, so I understand why you think that financial development will make D popular.

I don't know that I would say finance will make D popular but it's one domain that I know well where I think it can be useful. Popularity isn't only a good thing either.

I think the focus on Go, Rust etc as a competitive threat is misplaced. If they do something well and it fits us we should without shame copy it, but better. But just because they are the focus of attention amongst some communities doesn't mean we should otherwise worry about what they are doing.

But that's the exact opposite of what trending languages do at the moment (Go, Kotlin, etc).

They care to solve the basic problems of the casual developer : implementing desktop, mobile or web applications.

Why try to beat them at their own game, or even spend energy wondering about it. The DNA of the community mostly isn't interested in solving the problems of the casual developer in the same way. So unless it changes then it's a tough game to expect to beat them on criteria they set.

Looks at the compounded rate of growth of dmd daily downloads. If it were a stock, I wouldn't be short it, because it's in an uptrend and far from overbought. Many other contexts you would even call that explosive growth.

Not the most interesting jobs maybe, but that's what pays the bill of many of us, the "less skilled" developers who are not engineers.

I guess you only need one job. And there is share of market and share of mind. It's much easier for talented people to be recognised as such in a smaller community than a vast one.