On Saturday, 12 August 2017 at 17:25:36 UTC, bitwise wrote:
On Saturday, 12 August 2017 at 08:16:56 UTC, Temtaime wrote:

Collect - is a hint to the GC, not an order. It can ignore this request.

If this is the case, then D's GC should have an option to force collection like C#'s GC:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb495757(v=vs.110).aspx

Also do not rely on the gc calling a dtor - it is not safe and can be called totally randomed, so use RC instead or expicit destroy()

RC is not applicable. I'm doing unit tests for a non-GC container and trying to make sure all destructors are called properly.

Example:

unittest {
    auto a = List!int([S(0), S(1), S(2)]);
    a.popBack();
    assert(equal(a[], [S(0), S(1)]));
}

// lots of similar unittests

unittest {
    import std.stdio;
    GC.collect();
    assert(S.count == 0);
}

So if all goes well, S.count should be zero, but the arrays I'm testing against are being allocated on the heap. Given the conditions of the tests, it seems like GC.collect should be able to reclaim those arrays after the unit tests have exited, and in most cases does.

The ideal solution though, would be to allocate those arrays on the stack and avoid the problem altogether. There doesn't seem to be any reasonable way to do it though.

// won't this allocate anyways?
S[2] b = [S(0), S(1)];
assert(equal(a[], b[]));

// why can't I just declare a static array inline?
assert(equal(a[], int[2]{ S(0), S(1) }));

auto s(T, size_t n)(T[n] values)
{
        return values;
}