On Saturday, 19 August 2017 at 02:00:47 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
On Saturday, 19 August 2017 at 00:37:06 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

Having to change the default attributes will be a rare occurrence (embedded (nothrow, nogc final) security critical (safe).

My reading of that updated DIP is that you can only change the default attributes by hacking on DRuntime.

Hacking the runtime is certainly one way to achieve changing the default attributes. However having them as regular attributes means that is is possible to do configuration by version statements, which is a) much easier than hacking the runtime and b) causes much less fragmentation.

I don't think we want to encourage people to change the default attributes, but I think its one of those features that we have in D for those who know what they're doing (e.g =void) and don't want to get in their way of doing so.

If a project has a custom runtime, I would figure most people would mention it somewhere.

I would hope so!