I happened across this old thread in a search for "mobile app dlang". I got a Chromebook recently and it represents a substantial phase shift in devices for me:

* It's an ARM laptop (Asus Chromebook R13, big.LITTLE 2/2 cores, 4GB memory)
* It's also a tablet convertible
* The main OS is the web browser
* The secondary OS is a Linux desktop(via Crouton)
* The other secondary OS is Android(Play Store support)
* They all run simultaneously. ChromeOS supports this with minor end-user configuration(hit some secret shortcut keys for developer mode, run a shell script, click some boxes). * It cost under $300 (refurbished) and it's "high end" for the product segment, and feels like it

Which means I have ~three software ecosystems(two if you're feeling uncharitable, since all of them can do some web browsing) on the same device, all representing different market segments but more-or-less successfully converged. Although some things like clipboard compatibility aren't in the offing, I can switch between them with shortcut keys and share parts of the file system without any virtualization or rebooting. And "high end mobile" performance covers so many applications that as an individual I can only justify trading up for certain heavy workloads(large code-bases, high-end gaming, some media editing and encoding). If I were feeling daring I could also try running Wine, but that's better left to the x86 Chromebooks.

It's gotten me thinking that what we're looking at now is really a fully converged computing environment where monopolistic bottlenecks on software platforms are eroded, leaving us back in the position of generic device form factors(type and quantity of I/O, energy efficiency requirements) as the main constraints on the application. So "mobile" may also cease to be a category of substance at the same time as "desktop" and "Web". We'll just have "front-end"/"client", plus some UI forms to cover different devices.

At least, that's where we're going. But it's not "there" yet except in this particular product line, since Google is forcing the issue in it - and the sales figures do suggest that it's carving up the PC category and invading schools everywhere.

That thought is playing in my head against recent advertising of BetterC - the USP of "give new life to old code" seems like the most straightforward way to address this future, since if we change our set of assumptions away from "new platforms" in the usual sense of a technology shift provoking boil-the-ocean rewrites, but instead to a continual agglomeration of new into old and old into new, with most shifts occurring within the existing stacks instead of without, then leveraging old code by every means possible becomes the most important thing.

Which leads me to a great armchair proposal: D should support Excel spreadsheets ;)