On 16/10/2017 9:56 AM, Rion wrote:
On Sunday, 15 October 2017 at 20:27:35 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
D is much less gratifying than other languages for most people.
 Just like Windows was more gratifying than Linux for most people in 2000.  And I suppose that's likely to change slowly, but continue to be the case for a while so long as people working on Windows don't notice when something isn't working and fix things at root cause. It's usually not that much more difficult to do so than work around it, and it usually pays off even considered selfishly.

I can appreciate your frustration, but considering how many years knowing a programming language can pay off for, a few hundred hours spent to learn something new isn't that much. That's like a couple of months full-time and if it works out the payback period should easily be a year.  Viewed rationally, that's a pretty good return on investment compared to most other opportunities available.

In a world where there are lots of smart people and knowledge is widely available, the barriers to opportunity (there must be barriers, otherwise the opportunity would be competed away) are often emotional ones.  So I like things where the difficulty is front-loaded, because they tend to be neglected by modern people who are used to quick gratification.  And whilst it surely can be frustrating, the situation is already better both on Windows and as regards documentation and tooling than it was in 2014.  It's not difficult to make little changes towards what one would like to see oneself.

When you invest this time into a language, you have expectations. A person expects for a language this old, that every puzzle fits together without issue.

Call me spoiled if you want but quick gratification it is not. The time wasted on dealing with issue on D, is time you can have spend in a different language actually writing code/testing. Its a barrier to the language its own success when its not as user friendly as the other languages.

If a person needs to do a action in Windows and it takes him 5 mouse clicks. But hey, under Linux you can do it with one command line arg, ... the Linux approach sound more easy right? Until you add the time needed to learn the command and assuming there are no issues. What is more rewarding or punishing? There is a reason that Windows is still so popular. Windows does not get in the way. It just keep working. Can it be improved, yes! MS puts a massive amount of time and money in there testing. And it shows in there platform.

Its the same reason why Linux as a desktop OS will never work out. Too much puzzle pieces that do not fit, too much assumed that people need ( and have the time ) to learn the complicated way. A lack of inter-testing beyond just the basic compile tests ( i mean really usage ).

And yet my elderly-ish mother uses Linux Mint and she hates technology.
It isn't as clear cut as it may appear, these issues.