On 11/14/2017 06:05 PM, Michael V. Franklin wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 13:54:03 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

IMO, no character types should implicitly convert from integer types. In fact, character types shouldn't convert from ANYTHING (even other character types). We have so many problems with this.

Is everyone in general agreement on this?  Can anyone think of a compelling use case?

No, that would be too large a change of the rules.

All it means is that when VRP allows it, you still have to cast. It's not that large a change actually, but I can see how it might be too disruptive to be worth it.

FWIW 'a' has type dchar, not char. -- Andrei

No:

pragma(msg, typeof('a')); // char

-Steve