On Friday, 17 November 2017 at 14:53:40 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
[snip] Regardless, given that dereferencing null will segfault, it does not present an @safety problem.

@safe is really more of @memorysafe. Null safety is orthogonal to memory safety.

I don't really use null much in D currently, so this isn't all that important to me ATM. Regardless, I could imagine that if one were writing a language from scratch, you could have a default of @nullsafe where there is a compile-time error if you violate some null safety rules. You could then have a @nullunsafe where these compile-time errors are disabled and you throw an exception at run-time if you do. @nullunsafe is effectively the default in most languages.