On Friday, 12 January 2018 at 16:13:39 UTC, Seb wrote:
Motivation
----------

1) It's required for Walter's work on using -betterC for the backend conversion:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6907

Not really, he just wants to dogfood betterC on the dmd backend when it's ported to D.

2) We start to run into random failures lately, e.g.

https://github.com/braddr/d-tester/issues/63
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7569#issuecomment-356992048

Seem like issues with 32-bit OS X instead.

3) There's also WIP to move dmd-cxx to 2.076.1:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7595

No idea when that will be ready.

So if we have to bump the minimal dmd version required to build DMD anyways for (1), let's be clear about it and state it.

Anyone objecting?

This is going to require changes to ldc/gdc CI, as they actually maintain and test against that last C++ version of the common D frontend. It will also affect ports to new platforms, as it presents another hoop to jump through.

I see little reason to jump now. If it's done, it needs to be clearly documented.