On Friday, 2 February 2018 at 06:14:03 UTC, b4s1L3 b. wrote:
On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 12:21:24 UTC, rjframe wrote:
As a followup to [0], I want to take a look at packaging DlangIDE with a DMD compiler and tools, so we have an out-of-the box IDE for people giving D a try. This would be independent of the rest of the system, so moving on (either to Visual Studio, ldc, gdc, or whatever the programmer's preferred IDE/tooling might be) would require re-installing the compiler.

Most of this post will be Windows-centric, but if this is popular/useful/ successful I'd also manage macOS and Linux kits.

Basically, in the two years or so I've been here, newcomers have consistently had IDE problems. visual-d is perfect if you've got Visual Studio (especially with recent improvements), but otherwise you have to spend a bunch of time getting something set up just to try a language you're not yet sure about.

Some sort of learner's or starter's IDE makes sense to me.

My hypothetical programmer follows the path:

1) Discovers website. Runs some examples.
2) Plays with the online compiler in the tour.
3) Wants to download a compiler to work with. Wants an IDE, but does not have Visual Studio installed (or maybe doesn't want to install an
   extension yet).
4) Downloads the starter pack and starts learning.
5) Falls in love and takes the time to set up D with his/her preferred
   toolset.

Actually nowadays if DMD is already setup, Coedit doesn't require more configuration. Completion, all DCD features, and D-Scanner warnings just work out of the box since the tools are distributed with the IDE. In a way Coedit is already a "starter pack" and since a while.

I don't know why but in this kind of topics it's never mentioned, however since version 2 i can find testimonials showing that it works out of the box:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/tiyuogdlwwoqpckvk...@forum.dlang.org

Coedit is also a great alternative of zero configuration IDE for D beginners. I have a 2018 goal to finish my mini book I started last year for complete beginners to computer programming like I was when I started computer programming from scratch through self-directed learning. I recommend Sublime text editor in the introduction but I think one of these IDEs with a click to compile and run button will help me further simplify the instructions for setting up a development environment.

The book is about beginning computer programming using D where I try to make the explanations less technical as possible and not overwhelming reader with too much details. Its gets more technical as student learn more stuff.

I still have some typos and corrections to do though... You can find it at https://github.com/aberba/learn-coding