On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 01:20:04 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
So I'd like to propose that we do something similar to what we did with template instantiations a couple of years ago: make it so that unittests are only instantiated if the module they occur in is being compiled, otherwise ignore them (even in the face of -unittest). This way, adding unittests to Phobos won't cause unintentional slowdowns / unittest bloat across *all* D projects that import the affected Phobos modules. (Seen from this angle, it's a pretty hefty cost.)

Would it help to take the approach of mir, i.e. putting version(mir_test) before all the unittests?