On Thursday, 8 February 2018 at 13:06:44 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
So you think it should go into druntime? I don't see why it wasn't in there in the first place to be honest.

Yeah, probably. I might even publically import it when you import the posix header so it just works in the most common place.

Of course, it is important then that the compile-time thing doesn't cause a link time error when you just import and don't compile it in.... but that should be the case anyway (and the other posts in this thread show Walter is working on that so yay)

If you could have imported std.conv in druntime, it would have been done.

That's my point. We keep clashing despite being on the same side!

When I say the import is the problem, I don't mean the syntax or literal line of code. I mean the whole concept of depending on the Phobos module and all the stuff that brings. druntime can't have that dependency. Neither can a few other specialized low-level cases. And specialized low-level cases are where you find 95% of octal literals. (well ok 50% of octal literals, where the other 50% are bugs cuz someone wrote 010 to line up leading zeros... )