On Thursday, 8 February 2018 at 17:06:55 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 08:26:03AM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
The extra data in the object file comes from the inclusion of the hexStringImpl function, and from the template parameter (the symbol _D3std4conv__T9hexStringVAyaa8_6465616462656566ZQBiyAa is in there as well, which will always be larger than the actual string passed to hexString).
[...]

This is one area that really should be improved. Is there some easy way in the compiler to mark a template function as "only used in CTFE", and not emit it into the object file if there are no other runtime references to it? I'm thinking of some kind of boolean attribute that defaults to false, and gets set if the function is referenced by runtime code. During codegen, any function that doesn't have this attribute set will be skipped over.

My speculation is that this would lead to a good amount of reduction in template bloat, given how pervasively CTFE is used in Phobos (and idiomatic D in general).

Or maybe you can get away with just using a good compiler/linker that supports LTO. It's quite mature in GCC now, so it's probably worth trying with GDC.
http://hubicka.blogspot.ca/2014/04/linktime-optimization-in-gcc-1-brief.html