On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 15:09:10 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 14:59:38 UTC, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

const auto MAX_IN = 20;

const MAX_IN = 20;

The auto is superfluous and is only needed when there's no storage class or type.

Others say to use enums. It turns out enums seems to be the best, as they don't create a symbol in the object file, but const auto does.

If you need to take the address of a constant, use immutable or const (doesn't really matter, but I prefer immutable). If you don't need the address, use enum.

I think you are proving my point. You say there is no difference between:
const MAX_IN = 20;
vs
immutable MAX_IN = 20;

So now I have to try both, and look at the generated code to be sure. p.s. I prefer const since it is easier for C/C++ coders to understand. Using immutable invites the coder to go down the whole rat hole of trying to understand how is it different than const.