On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 18:21:55 UTC, Bo wrote:
Here are a few more "basics" that are unneeded or confusing. Lets not even talk about the more advanced features like inout, ...

/-/

* auto: Static typed language yet we fall back on the compiler to figure out what is being assigned. Can just as well have a interpreter language. It only encourages lazy writing and has a penalty on the compilation.

There's almost zero/no penalty on the compilation cost.
What's wrong with letting the compiler help you?
If you don't like auto, simply don't use it :O

/-/

* to!string, to!... requires "import std.conv"
* basic string manipulation requires "import std.string"
* join, replace, replaceInPlace, split, empty all require std.array
* ...

... these are basic language features, yet its required to included each of those libraries to every file you need it. A lot of languages have basic functions as standard or dynamically include the required code upon compilation ( or error if you have a double naming ). The time saved on auto compilation, can be reused to do the above mentioned. Two birds with one move.

We're getting there: https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5916

/-/

* splitLines vs split .. std.array vs std.string

It confuses people because split is part of std.array but splitLines is part of std.string. Really! Most languages simply have split as a basic language feature and you indicate what you want to split.

Its not the only confusing or double function that is present in the standard library.

I assume you aren't aware of the superior splitter in std.algorithm?

tl;dr: split has been there before, but it's: `splitter.array`
However, we can't remove these things without breaking code.
We can only improve the documentation and tutorials, to which you are more than cordially invited.

/-/

* scope() .. just call it "defer" just as every other language now does. It only confuses people who come from other languages. Its now almost a standard. By using scope people have have no clue that D has a defer. Took even me a while to know that D had a defer system in place.

1) I only know about defer in Go. That's not a standard.

2) How do you do scope(failure) in Go?
Scope solves multiple uses with one nice keyword.
After all, the "thing" you are leaving is called scope.

/-/

If you have a few more weeks, this list is long :)

Please put any fixable issues / actionable ideas on Bugzilla. Thanks!

Unfortunately, because the code base it is impossible to fix these issues as too much code depends on it. The libraries, packages, ...

Yes, but it looks like all these issues can be fixed / improved with better documentation
For example, for scope:

https://tour.dlang.org/tour/en/gems/scope-guards

If you don't like it, please improve it!