On 09.02.2018 19:34, Seb wrote:
On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 18:21:55 UTC, Bo wrote:
Here are a few more "basics" that are unneeded or confusing. Lets not even talk about the more advanced features like inout, ...

/-/

* auto: Static typed language yet we fall back on the compiler to figure out what is being assigned. Can just as well have a interpreter language. It only encourages lazy writing and has a penalty on the compilation.

There's almost zero/no penalty on the compilation cost.

On top of that, the penalty is _negative_. If there is no type specified, there is no overhead to check that it matches the type of the initializer. I can find zero ways in which the above criticism of "auto" makes any sense.