On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 15:30:44 UTC, JN wrote:

I'm no expert on programming language design, but I think there is a difference between templates and generics. At the basic level they are used for similar things - specializing container types, etc. But templates usually allow much more, so they end up being layers of layers of compile time code, e.g. D and Boost, which while nifty has it's compilation time cost.

I agree. But I don't know of any way to add generics without slowing compilation or making the language harder to use, even if it's something other than templates.