On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 11:51:08PM +0000, Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> I believe I found small hole in template parameter semantics.
> [...] you can't create a template that accepts a value of any type.

Not true:

        template counterexample(alias T) {}

        int x;
        string s;
        alias U = counterexample!x;     // OK
        alias V = counterexample!1;     // OK
        alias W = counterexample!"yup"; // OK
        alias X = counterexample!s;     // OK

        alias Z = counterexample!int;   // NG

The last one fails because a value is expected, not a type.

If you *really* want to accept both values and types, `...` comes to the
rescue:

        template rescue(T...) if (T.length == 1) {}

        int x;
        string s;
        alias U = rescue!x;     // OK
        alias V = rescue!1;     // OK
        alias W = rescue!"yup"; // OK
        alias X = rescue!s;     // OK
        alias Z = rescue!int;   // OK!

In a world without fences, who needs Windows and Gates? -- Christian Surchi