On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 at 06:00:30 UTC, Taylor Hillegeist wrote:
So i've seen on the forum over the years arguments about auto-decoding (mostly) and some other things. Things that have been considered mistakes, and cannot be corrected because of the breaking changes it would create. And I always wonder why not make a solution to the tune of a flag that makes things work as they used too, and make the new behavior default.

dmd --UseAutoDecoding

That way the breaking change was easily fixable, and the mistakes of the past not forever. Is it just the cost of maintenance?

Auto-decoding is a significant issue for the applications I work on (search engines). There is a lot of string manipulation in these environments, and performance matters. Auto-decoding is a meaningful performance hit. Otherwise, Phobos has a very nice collection of algorithms for string manipulation. It would be great to have a way to turn auto-decoding off in Phobos.

--Jon