On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 17:24:35 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
Very nice. Using memoize did occur to me, but I needed an array interface to it. Didn't think of using memoize with map, for some reason. Thanks for the idea!

However, looking at the implementation of memoize, it seems that it's caching the result globally, with very little control over the cache except the size. I wonder if there's a way to control it better, i.e., free the cache once there are no more references to it, and have the cache size depend on the data size. Basically, in my use case, once I map an array it's not predictable in advance how many elements will be accessed (i.e., it's hard to decide on an optimal cache size for memoize), but this access will happen pretty soon afterwards, and then the array will be discarded (i.e., no point holding on old entries in the cache). I would prefer that the cache will be cleared once the mapped array has been GC'd, but memoize() seems to hold on to the cached results indefinitely.

No worries! And ugh, can't think off the top of my head how to improve it other than to make it a type and give it scope so that it can die at some point. But that would make it uglier to use as well.

Btw, I just saw someone posted a link to an old forum post of yours: https://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.2562.1403196857.2907.digitalmar...@puremagic.com

Mind if I add that (or a version of it) to a library I'm writing? (it's an optional type on dub)

Cheers
- Ali