Say that we have a function that returns an int. We assign it to an auto variable and pass that to another function which takes an int. All is well.

Say we change the function to return a Nullable!int. We expect the compiler to warn us that we must now check for isNull; however, what we actually get is a runtime crash! It's almost like we're writing Javascript!

Say we have a function that takes a Nullable!int. However, we want to change the function to merely take an int, and move the isNull check outside it. However, we again face a runtime crash instead of a compiler warning.

Say we are simply misremembering the return type of a function. Say the call is in a little-used part of the code, just lying in wait to crash our application.

This is not good, and it's not how you would expect a statically typed language to behave.