On Monday, 30 April 2018 at 21:11:07 UTC, Gerald wrote:
I'll freely admit I haven't put a ton of thought into this post (never a good start), however I'm genuinely curious what people's feeling are with regards to the auto keyword.

I prefer types spelled as it helps to understand the code. In javascript I have to look around to figure out types of variables and then I can understand the code. In C# I saw surprising abuse like `var id = 0L;` - to think someone would go to such length only to insist on type inference. In part this can be due to unreasonably difficult to spell types like ptrdiff_t, so I try to design my code in a way that it's easy to spell types.